Blog Archive

Thursday, April 25, 2013

49 route from Coarsegold, CA to Jackson, CA 130 miles

I left Coarsegold at 6:30 Wednesday morning. I decided to drive route 49 which is connected with the old 49ers Gold Rush. It is very hilly with some steep grades and lots of "S" curves. Dave and Betsy McNair took the longer, flatter and straighter route 99 about 180 miles. I wanted to see the scenery and test the truck. IT DID GREAT. The map below shows the route.
 This is a close up of Bagby switch back.

This is the start down the hill for the 180 degree turn. I found my combined weight and the steep decline was enough to push me over the hold back capability of my exhaust brake in first gear. So I put it in 4x4 Low and had all the control I needed. 15 mph in 3rd gear 4x4 low was great. I opted to run 4x4 low on blacktop (which is not recommended because of the locking differential) to have the positive control at low speed with the exhaust brake.
 From the top looking after the switch back farther into the valley

 A Stream shot farther up the road.
 Another down grade.
 Some of the hills behind me.

 Great cattle trails.
 Oh another down grade.
 River or lake


 I had two log trucks behind me. The first one passed and thanked me as soon as I pulled onto the turn out. Yes there are many turnouts on this road. Some blacktopped and others on the gravel edge. Sine I was traveling easy and relaxed at my speed I let cars and trucks go as soon as I had a couple behind me.  This picture shows his buddy.
It was a beautiful trip and now I know the truck is capable of handling it as long as I drive ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures.
    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE shots John! Are you now heading to Oregon?
    Barry

    ReplyDelete