Blog Archive

Sunday, June 29, 2014

2014-06-25 - 28 Seward, Homer, Hope, and Palmer


While in Seward Dave took a strenuous hike up the Harding Icefield Trail which is about 3500 feet in three miles. I enjoyed this hike vicariously through Dave. He was sore the next four day from the aggressive climb. My knee is doing better but still talks to me so I have a hobble.
The hike started at the Exit Glacier.
This is a shot of one of the crevices in the Glacier.
 Here is a shot looking out over the ice field. The mountains in the far rear are 60 miles away. Wow.
 That is a look of satisfaction.
 Beautiful green up top.
 BEAR! Yes this black bear was stalking Dave about 300 feet away. They will eat people we are told.
 A climbing party on the Glacier.
 One climber is repelling down into a crevices. The Guide said he would not do that.
We moves to Homer.
The River was active with fisherman for Red Salmon as well as rafters.
 This Mountain is across the water.
 When we pulled in there were three halibut hanging there. This is a 60 pound one looking at its bottom side.
 The fish dressing table.
 Looking at the top side of the halibut.
 One of the guide boats. Note the OVERSIZE LOAD sign.
Looking at the Homer Spit.
 Our campsite on the city beach. No hookups so boon docking. Have I mentioned I enjoy boon docking and am glad the Monty is set up for it. Oh yes for those that have not heard it lately, "I like my truck too!"
 Greg and Ron parked about six miles away from us and this fellow was at their camp ground.
 We see many sea planes. A prime means of transportation here.
 Moose cow and calf crossed the road in front of us as we were leaving. By the time we got the camera they were up the drive.
We deviated from Greg's travel plans and stopped back in Hope for one more visit with Steve.
We caught low tide and the quick sand mud flats caught our attention.

 Our camp site at Sea View. I backed it in the first time. I don't do that very often. the two young couples were impressed.  SO WAS I!
We moved back to Palmer so we could do laundry. On the way through Anchorage we stopped at Carr's (Safeway) and got food, booze and fuel for the truck.
This picture is of my Monty name badge. I did it in Dawson City but did not post the picture.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos. Did you carve the name sign or did you burn it? A great idea. I can't draw, but I could trace it on wood and burn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, another great update. It was good talking to you too! That halibut would make for some great sushi :-) David, fantastic pictures from your hike. You were right about the area, just beautiful. You were not kidding when you told me about the bear...too close for comfort..thank god he wasn't hungry. Enjoy your time in Denali. Look forward to the next blog. Talk to you soon. Miss you, Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    I drew it twice the size of my key holder and then cut it out with a dremel too.

    I use a small torch to burn the upper surface.

    ReplyDelete