Blog Archive

Sunday, June 15, 2014

2014-06-13, 14, 15 Dawson City to Palmer AK near Anchorage


 We left Dawson city for Anchorage with two night stops. We took the Top of the World Highway. It is mostly dirt or gravel road. The 120 miles took six hours to drive averaging 25 miles an hour.

 Dawson City and the Yukon river in the rear view mirror.
 As I said it is a dirt or gravel road.
 Have I told you how vast this country side is?
 Still climbing to 3000 feet and sometimes 4000 on this trip. We are driving on the ridge top instead of in the valley.
 Vast Beauty. Almost in an over load state.
 I wonder why they would close this road in the winter. LOL.
 Rest / potty stop.
 As I said ridge top driving.
 Road Crew in Alaska working on the road.

 US/Canadian Customs looking at Alaska.


 Not sure if I mentioned dusty. The motorcyclist must have had a mask.
 A large Tanker passed me heading down the road. I waited till I could see again.
 We did stop at the Chicken fuel stop but missed the town. Next time.
 Our stop for the night. A boon docking site.
 We did 275 miles on Saturday the 14th in rain.

 Did I mention the vast beauty.


 A glacier.

 Our second stop.



 This glacier is dieing or receding.
 We missed some of this beauty yesterday because of the rain and low clouds. Here is a mountain peaking through.


 I worked hard changing seats to get this shot from the rear seat drivers side. Actually Dave took it.
 I know the glacier water is cold but the kids love to play.


Beautiful Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment